Xilinx is the leading provider of All Programmable FPGAs, SoCs, MPSoCs and 3DICs. Xilinx's all-programmable devices are designed into tens of thousands of products that improve the quality of the everyday lives of billions of people worldwide. For over 30 years, Xilinx has been behind some of the greatest advancements in technology and science - from the industry's first fabless semiconductor model to the NASA Curiosity Mars Rover, to today's autonomous vehicles and hyperscale data centers. Xilinx uniquely enables applications that are both software-defined, yet hardware optimized - enabling smart, connected and differentiated applications across technology's biggest megatrends, including Machine Learning, 5G Wireless, Embedded Vision, Industrial IoT and Cloud Computing and more.
If you are a passionate, innovative and an out-of-the-box thinker that enjoys challenging projects, Xilinx is the right place for you. Our global team is growing and we are looking for bold, collaborative, and creative people to help deliver groundbreaking technologies that enable our customers to differentiate. Come do your best work and live your best life through collaboration, wellness and giving back to your community as a member of the ONEXILINX team.
Senior Linux System Administrator
The Senior Linux System Administrator will be responsible for providing highly complex technical support to the Engineering organizations at Xilinx. This position will be required to support and improve complex Linux and high performance compute in a dynamic, fast-paced engineering environment. Furthermore, this person will be responsible for collaborating globally on efforts for various IT activities related to the Xilinx Engineering environment, in accordance with Xilinx World Wide IT strategies and objectives.
- Partner with engineering (Software and Silicon) to deliver strategic initiatives, projects, recommend technologies and automation efforts.
- Responsible for leading and participating in a number of small, medium and large scale, enterprise-wide projects.
- Provide advanced Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, SUSE) troubleshooting and technical support to the Engineering organization.
- Contribute to roadmaps, leveraging current and future technologies, providing innovative and sustainable solutions to complex problems.
- Assist in day-to-day maintenance of the Engineering infrastructure, including Linux system builds, configuration & security management, patching, automation and system upgrades, troubleshooting complex technical issues.
- Participate in support case management related to Engineering infrastructure; participate in 7x24 on-call support rotation schedule.
- Maintain, monitor, produce and analyze metrics for production systems to ensure optimal performance, resource utilization and uptime
- 8+ years of strong experience in the support of Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, SUSE), Kickstart and PXE environments. Can support, maintain, improve and troubleshoot the related technologies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users, mentoring other system administrators in complex topics and interacting positively with management at all levels.
- Independent problem-solving and troubleshooting in an engineering focused complex global Linux environment and associated IT Infrastructure.
- Proficient in all aspects of Linux operating system administration including system installation, configuration management, high performance computing, security, package repositories, patching and installation of third-party software in very large environments.
- Solid understanding of Linux-based operating systems including virtual memory management, kernel memory accounting, daemons, devices, device drivers, loadable modules, filesystem concepts (inodes, RAID, LVM).
- Skilled in one or more configuration management tools to support large environments preferably Enterprise Puppet
- Experience with event and system monitoring (Splunk, CA UIM/NetQOS, Cacti) and workflow managers (Automic, Jenkins, WFA).
- Ability to write and support complex scripts and programs, preferably using Python, Perl, Bash, C.
- Experience with development components such as compilers, MAKE, building and using Open Source tools, source code revision control (RCS, CVS, Git).
- Understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts including NFS, DNS and LDAP.
- Experience with virtualized environments (VMware, Xen, Citrix).
- Experience managing large (1000+ node) compute clusters using LSF or similar job schedulers.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems/Computer Science or equivalent experience required.
Other Desired Skills
- Exposure to AWS infrastructure, OpenStack and hybrid cloud compute model
- Experience in Silicon, EDA and SW workloads
- Experience with large network attached storage (NetApp, EMC Isilon) environments.
- FlexLM License management experience.
- Windows administration experience a plus.
- Linux certification (Red Hat, Linux Foundation or equivalent)