Xilinx develops highly flexible and adaptive processing platforms that enable rapid innovation across a variety of technologies - from the endpoint to the edge to the cloud. Xilinx is the inventor of the FPGA, hardware programmable SoCs and the ACAP (Adaptive Compute Acceleration Platform), designed to deliver the most dynamic processor technology in the industry and enable the adaptable, intelligent and connected world of the future in a multitude of markets including Data Center (Compute, Storage and Networking); Wireless/5G and Wired Communications; Automotive/ADAS; Emulation & Prototyping; Aerospace & Defense; Industrial Scientific & Medical, and others. Xilinx's core strengths simultaneously address major industry trends including the explosion of data, heterogeneous computing after Moore's Law, and the dawn of artificial intelligence (AI).
Our global team is growing and we are looking for bold, collaborative and creative people to help us lead the industry transformation to build an adaptable intelligent world. We believe that by embracing diverse ideas, striving for excellence in all that we do, and working together as a unified team, we can accomplish anything. Come do your best work and live your best life as part of the ONEXILINX team!
Senior Linux System Administrator
The Senior Linux System Administrator will be responsible for providing highly complex technical support to the Engineering organizations at Xilinx. This position will be required to support and improve complex Linux and high performance compute in a dynamic, fast-paced engineering environment. Furthermore, this person will be responsible for collaborating globally on efforts for various IT activities related to the Xilinx Engineering environment, in accordance with Xilinx World Wide IT strategies and objectives.
- Partner with engineering (Software and Silicon) to deliver strategic initiatives, projects, recommend technologies and automation efforts.
- Responsible for leading and participating in a number of small, medium and large scale, enterprise-wide projects.
- Provide advanced Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, SUSE) troubleshooting and technical support to the Engineering organization.
- Contribute to roadmaps, leveraging current and future technologies, providing innovative and sustainable solutions to complex problems.
- Assist in day-to-day maintenance of the Engineering infrastructure, including Linux system builds, configuration & security management, patching, automation and system upgrades, troubleshooting complex technical issues.
- Participate in support case management related to Engineering infrastructure; participate in 7x24 on-call support rotation schedule.
- Maintain, monitor, produce and analyze metrics for production systems to ensure optimal performance, resource utilization and uptime
- 8+ years of strong experience in the support of Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, SUSE), Kickstart and PXE environments. Can support, maintain, improve and troubleshoot the related technologies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users, mentoring other system administrators in complex topics and interacting positively with management at all levels.
- Independent problem-solving and troubleshooting in an engineering focused complex global Linux environment and associated IT Infrastructure.
- Proficient in all aspects of Linux operating system administration including system installation, configuration management, high performance computing, security, package repositories, patching and installation of third-party software in very large environments.
- Solid understanding of Linux-based operating systems including virtual memory management, kernel memory accounting, daemons, devices, device drivers, loadable modules, filesystem concepts (inodes, RAID, LVM).
- Skilled in one or more configuration management tools to support large environments preferably Enterprise Puppet
- Experience with event and system monitoring (Splunk, CA UIM/NetQOS, Cacti) and workflow managers (Automic, Jenkins, WFA).
- Ability to write and support complex scripts and programs, preferably using Python, Perl, Bash, C.
- Experience with development components such as compilers, MAKE, building and using Open Source tools, source code revision control (RCS, CVS, Git).
- Understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts including NFS, DNS and LDAP.
- Experience with virtualized environments (VMware, Xen, Citrix).
- Experience managing large (1000+ node) compute clusters using LSF or similar job schedulers.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems/Computer Science or equivalent experience required.
Other Desired Skills
- Exposure to AWS infrastructure, OpenStack and hybrid cloud compute model
- Experience in Silicon, EDA and SW workloads
- Experience with large network attached storage (NetApp, EMC Isilon) environments.
- FlexLM License management experience.
- Windows administration experience a plus.
- Linux certification (Red Hat, Linux Foundation or equivalent)